United to Help Our Neighbors State-Wide

UHON Partner Logos

United Way of Greater St. Louis has received $5 million from the state of Missouri to help at-risk families in communities across the state regain self-sufficiency. This is a one-time grant to support the immediate basic needs of families in crisis. United Way of Greater St. Louis is leading the effort to distribute the funds to subgrantees, Kansas City and Joplin, and the United Way partners who make up the Missouri Association of United Ways.

What help is available?

Rent Assistance

    • The rent must be past due
    • Rental assistance is also available for families recently evicted or having a pending eviction
    • Rental assistance is also available for families having to move due to domestic violence
    • The maximum assistance amount available is up to $2000

Utility Assistance (electricity, gas/propane, water, sewer, wood)

    • Account must be past due
    • The maximum assistance available up to $1000

Childcare support for job attainment or retention for one month

    • Must be for a state-licensed childcare provider
    • The maximum assistance available up to $1200

Transportation (LYFT rides up to two weeks to and from employment – STL area only – or for auto repairs when the car is used to get to work)

    • Auto repair cost must result in the auto being operable
    • The maximum assistance available is up to $1500

Who is eligible?

You may be eligible for help if you:

    • Are a Missouri resident
    • Have at least one child in the household under the age of 18
    • Are responsible for paying the bill for your home (rent, mortgage, utilities, and childcare)
    • Meet or are below the 185% of Federal Poverty Guidelines for your household size

How do I apply?

  1. Click the button below to find out how to apply in your county.
  2. Fill out the online application. Answer every question and attach all required documents. If your application is not complete, it will be delayed.
  3. Your completed application and all required documents must be submitted at the same time.

What if I don’t qualify?

If your household is not eligible for assistance, please call 211 to get connected to agencies and resources near you.

Hurry to apply!

Assistance is being distributed based on available funding for each county.  The program will no longer be available when dollars run out in your county.

Frequently Asked Questions

What should I do if I don’t qualify?

If your household is not eligible for assistance, please call 211 to get connected to agencies and resources near you.

When will I get the requested assistance?

Once your completed application is submitted and the required documents, your application will be reviewed within approximately 20 business days. A letter will be mailed to you that tells you if you qualify for help and the amount you will get.  Please stay in contact with the agency where you applied for assistance.

It may be necessary for a worker to reach out to you if they need more information or clarification.  If you receive an email, phone call or text message regarding your application, be sure to respond promptly, or your application may be delayed or denied.

After you apply, please continue to pay your bills if you can so you do not get disconnected or run out of fuel such as propane, wood, or pre-paid electric, evicted, or lose childcare assistance.

Does my landlord need to know I’m applying for assistance?

Yes.  Your landlord will need to provide proof of ownership of the unit you live in.

Can I receive assistance in more than one category (e.g., rent assistance and utility assistance)?

Yes, but only if the requests are submitted in the same application.  After applying the first time, you won’t be able to submit another application at a later date.

Will I have to pay tax on the assistance I receive?

No, assistance provided under this program is not considered taxable income and United Way will not report the assistance to the IRS.